University of Antwerp The Laboratory of Cell biology and Histology (Department of Veterinary Sciences; Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences) is seeking to fill the following full-time vacancy: Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f).
The University of Antwerp is a knowledge centre with more than 3.000 co-workers that performs ground-breaking and innovative research of international standing. The university takes special care to ensure optimum support and supervision of students, and pays constant attention to educational innovation. The university is an autonomous pluralistic institution that is committed to the enhancement of an open, democratic and multicultural society, and it pursues an equal opportunities policy.
Co-implement and coordinate the research project Bidirectional communication between the enteric nervous system and elements of the immune system in inflammatory gastrointestinal disorders (TOP-project funded by the Special Research Fund (BOF) of the University of Antwerp; duration: 4 years). This project aims at investigating the interactions between neuronal elements of the gastointestinal tract and elements of the immune system, i.e. mast cells and dendritic cells, during inflammation in two animal models. Special attention will be paid to the possible role of stress-related proteins and their receptors in this interaction.
Profile and requirements
* You have a doctoral degree and hold a MSc degree in the life sciences domain [sciences (biotechnology, biology, biochemistry; bio-engineering); pharmaceutical sciences; veterinary sciences; (bio)medical sciences].
* Experience with morphological techniques (immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence, in situ hybridization, confocal microscopy, life cell imaging) is an asset.
* You are experienced or interested in molecular biological techniques (PCR, RT-PCR, quantitative PCR) and cell culturing (cell lines, primary cell cultures).
* Some experience with electrophysiological techniques is recommended.
* Experience in supervising PhD and Master students is preferred.
* You are a strong team player and motivated to become part of a multidisciplinary research group.
* A position as a full-time (100%) postdoctoral fellow/researcher (m/f) on an annual contract basis with the possibility of renewal for the duration of the project.
* Salary scales are according to university regulations within the available budget of the research project (gross salary starts at 3162 EUR/month and depends on the candidates useful former professional experience).
* Starting date: as soon as possible
Further information can be obtained from the project promoters:
* Prof. Dr. Jean-Pierre TIMMERMANS (tel.: 03-2653327; e-mail: jean-pierre.timmermans[ at ]ua.ac.be)
* Prof. Dr. Dirk ADRIAENSEN (tel.: 03-2653475; dirk.adriaensen[ at ]ua.ac.be)
How to apply?
Via submission of a complete application file consisting, minimally, of a letter of application and a complete curriculum vitae (personal data, overview of studies and competences, list of publications, data on possible referees, other useful information). Please send (via electronic or regular mail) your application by 23 january 2009, at the latest, to:
Prof. Dr. J.-P. TIMMERMANS
University of Antwerp
Laboratory of Cell biology & Histology
Groenenborgerlaan 171 2020 Antwerp
E-mail: jean-pierre.timmermans[ at ]ua.ac.be