VLIR-UOS awards scholarships to students from developing countries so that they can follow a master or training programme in Flanders, Belgium. These scholarships cover all related expenses. Every year, VLIR-UOS awards up to 180 scholarships to first-year master students and 70 scholarships to training participants.
Who is eligible?
All programmes are specifically designed for people in positions of responsibility in civil society (e.g. universities, schools, NGOs, local communities, governments).
The target group for master programmes is comprised of students from developing countries. Training programmes are tailored to people from developing countries with a certain degree of professional experience. Only residents and nationals of the following countries are eligible for a VLIR-UOS scholarship:
Algeria, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Palestinian Administered Areas, Philippines, Vietnam
Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Nicaragua, Peru, Suriname
Type of Scholarships
# International Master Programmes 2011-2012
* Master of Development Evaluation and Management
* Master of Globalisation and Development
* Master of Governance and Development
* Master of Human Settlements
# International Master Programmes 2011-2013
* Master of Aquaculture
* Master of Biology – Specialisation Human Ecology
* Master of Biostatistics
* Master of Environmental Sanitation
* Master of Food Technology
* Master of Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (Oceans & Lakes)
* Master of Molecular Biology (IPMB)
* Master of Nematology
* Master of Nutrition and Rural Development,Main Subject: Human Nutrition
* Master of Physical Land Resources
* Master of Water Resources Engineering
Application and selection procedure
Applicants applying for both academic admission and a VLIR-UOS scholarship need to consider both the admission requirements and the scholarship criteria.
Applicants applying for academic admission but not for a scholarship simply need to fulfill only the admission requirements of the host university running the programme.
The host university is in charge of the academic admission of applications. Study results will be taken into consideration during the selection, but the most important academic selection criteria are relevant professional experience and prospects for applying the acquired insights after return to the developing country. The academic admission requirements are specific to every programme. Please peruse the requirements from the relevant programme.
A joint selection committee of VLIR-UOS and the host university is responsible for selecting scholarships. The host university – not the applicant – forwards the scholarship applications to the VLIR-UOS secretariat if the academic admission requirements are met. The VLIR-UOS scholarship criteria relate to the qualifications required of all scholarship applicants and selection criteria evaluated by the selection committee.
All applicants receive an acknowledgement of receipt of their applications. Applicants whose proposals are deemed academically admissible and who are awarded a scholarship for the academic year 2011-2012 will be contacted by VLIR-UOS and the host university by e-mail in May and June 2011. Applicants whose proposals are deemed academically admissible will be notified by the host university.
This is how you apply for the academic year 2011-2012
You can apply for a VLIR-UOS scholarship from the 1st of October 2010.
You must fill in the pre-screening form at the bottom of the page of the programme you want to follow. You may only choose one programme. If you apply to more than one programme your details will be entered more than once in our central database and all your applications will be inadmissible.
So you must follow the correct and complete procedure below.
1. Apply on the VLIR-UOS website via the pre-screening form: fill in name, birth date, country, etc…;
2. Receive a VLIR-UOS application/file number by return e-mail from VLIR-UOS;
3. Apply on the website from the host university through the link mentioned in the return e-mail from VLIR-UOS;
4. Write the received VLIR-UOS application/file number on the application file from the host university;
5. Send a printout of your application file along with all required documents (diploma transcripts, motivation, etc…) to the International Office of the host university, not to VLIR-UOS.
Applications that are incomplete, illegible or that reach the host university’s International Office after the deadline will be automatically rejected.
The deadline to apply for a scholarship from VLIR-UOS for a master programme is the 1st of February 2011.
For further information